Marcus Garvey Philosophy (God and Nature first made us what we are - Part 2)

edited February 2015 in Pan Africanism

Marcus Garvey Philosophy: God and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of our own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be, Follow always that great law. Let the sky and God be our limit and Eternity our measurement.
Marcus Garvey

Also read:
Marcus Garvey Philosophy (God and Nature first made us what we are - Part 1)
Marcus Garvey Philosophy (Up, up, you mighty race! You can accomplish what you will)

With God and Nature having played their role in making us what we are, the further challenges as to what we do with that fall squarely upon us, the ball is as much in each individual’s court as it is in the Global Afrikan Family’s court. We have a responsibility to be the best that we were created to be. In being the best, the idea is not so much to live a competitive life with others, no, the idea is to challenge oneself to greater heights.

Each and every one of us is born gifted with some talents and we have a choice as to whether we excel, are mediocre or just downright under performers. There is no power in the world that can make an underperformer excel unless that particular individual wills it in their heart and mind to shift from underperforming to excelling, the contrary is just as true.

The same stands true for a group of people as well. If the collective mind of the group is geared towards excelling, then that group will excel. On the contrary, if the collective mind of a group of people is underperformance then that group can expect, of itself, nothing but underperformance. Then again, if, within the group there are subsets; some with an excelling collective mind, some mediocre and some with an underperforming one, the ultimate result, at best, is confusion and hence mediocre results and, at worst, collective dismal underperformance which is very rarely, if at all, compensated for by individual excellence.

Let us, for a while, analyse the condition of the Globally Afrikan Family. I do not believe that one can honestly be accused of exaggeration if one were to conclude that the collective mind of the Globally Afrikan Family is far from seeking collective excellence. A lot of energy is spent, by ourselves, as Afrikans, advancing causes that militate against our own advancement and therefore well-being as a people. This therefore means that, within the realm of self-development and self-advancement we are definite underperformers.

My Brathas and Sistas let us not be victims of what Ali Mazirui calls “gloriana”, by which he means glorifying the past Afrikan achievements and failing to contextualise the same. By dwelling on gloriana and failing to contextualise it we thus fail to create and talk about the glories of today. Admittedly there is a lot that has forced the Afrikan people to lose their glory, may I recommend that we all read the book, Destruction of Black Civilisation by Chancellor Williams.

Yes we accept the wars of the past, we accept the enslavement and occupation of our continent, by the Arabs, which is an issue to this day, we accept the enslavement and colonialism by the Western countries.

Of essence in analyzing these destructive elements in Our Story, is the fact that, the people who were being taken into slavery were in the main, the strong, fit and intellectually astute young men and women within our communities, with great skills and leadership qualities that could have advanced the continent at our own pace and an our own terms. The enslavers were not interested in the old, the lame, the crippled, the infants and babies, no, not at all. They left some communities totally devastated in that they took away the potential community developers including the child-bearers who would have seen to continual growth of their communities. No community can grow if the child bearing generation is annihilated or stolen away from that community. No community can grow if the young generations of men and women are stolen from it.

As I write this I am reminded of the days when I was still a university student and a member of the Christian Union. In 1988 and 1989 we carried outreach programs to Mozambique during the days of the Frelimo and Renamo war. I will never forget some of the villages that we visited where we found communities without any youths and young people, just old people who could barely take care of themselves, in some cases old people and infants only, with most young people and children having been taken by the rebels and forced to fight a war they did not believe in nor understood. Imagine the devastation of communities being the case throughout much of Afrika, during the days of the enslavement, that definitely had a never impact on our ability to advance ourselves on our own land in our own way.

It is recorded that the occupation of the Congo, by the Belgians, was of such a brutal nature that many a man and woman were just killed without justification and many communities totally exterminated with the view in mind being to create a white man’s paradise in the Congo. The genocide against the Herero in Namibia is yet another example of how the colonizer directly contributed to bringing Afrika to its kneesm by killing those that would have facilitated for the advancement of the people.

Though there was an abolishment of slavery, by means of transporting our Ancestors to foreign lands, the white man’s agenda was not over yet. They decided that, since they could not continue to commodify our Ancestors by buying and selling them, they should occupy the continent itself, effectively enslave us on our own Motherand through a politricking ideology called colonialism.

Many analyses of Our Story, during the days of Post Ancestral/Pre-independent Afrika, very rarely look at the aspect of the effects of colonialism on the development of the communities as a result of our able bodied young people being taken to work for the development and comfort of the colonizers and could not channel the same energy into the development of their own communities. Making the transition from Post Ancestral/Pre-independent Afrika to Independent Afrika thus became a major challenge for almost all Afrikan countries.

Sad for Afrika, talking of Independent Afrika, is in many ways just talk, mere flag independence where the liberators took political office and enjoyed the previous privileges of the colonizer. Within a very short period of time, Afrikan countries made the transition from Independent Afrika to Post Independent Afrika and that is where we are now.

To lead to the Post Independent Afrika phase the continent saw a mutation process that even to this day is difficult to understand. The liberators became the chief protectors of the former enemy, the colonizers, they effectively became neo-colonialists, today enemies – tomorrow bosom buddies sleeping in the same bed.

In serving the interests of their new masters these neo-colonialists became themselves the Tshombes of the Afrikan revolution. Instead of advancing the cause of the ordinary Afrikan man, woman and child they were ready and willing to kill their own and satisfy their role as the protectors of the interests of the West and ensuring that the continent and its people continue to be open to exploitation by the West and its allies.

The phase that Afrika is now at is fighting to make the transition from Post Independent Afrika to Liberated Afrika. In realizing some of the ills of Post Independent Afrika, some Afrikan countries have adopted and are actually applying a very destructive Look East Policy where it is erroneously believed that the Chinese are our friends and allies and will therefore help us against the exploitation by the West.

The Look East Policy, as far as I am concerned, is still confined to the Post Independent Afrika period, just a new manifestation. It does not, in any manner whatsoever address itself to advancement and the ultimate liberation and freedom of the Afrikan people, instead it opens up the continent to new exploiters, new colonialists (under a different guise) in the form of the Chinese. Again, as in the case with the protection of the Western interests within the Post Independent phase, the major beneficiaries amongst the Afrikan people, under the Look East Policy, are the politricians and those close to them.

Further we realize that, through institutions like the Afrikan Union we are being made docile in as far as responding to the Arab southwards bound drive. Instead of formulating an agenda to reclaim our lost lands in the North of the continent we are being pacified by a group of people who themselves are beholden to the Arabs. They want to create a continentalist Pan-Afrikan mentality which is detrimental to the generality of Afrikan people and does not protect the violation of the rights of Afrikans in the occupied territories.

Today my Brathas and Sistas our collective mind, and hence our collective will, should be geared towards making the transition to Liberated Afrika. We have a responsibility to move our people to ultimate liberation and freedom. Let the sky be our limit in as far as enjoying the privileges of our liberation. Let the sky be our limit in as far as creating and building a future for our children and their children. Let the sky be our limit in the reclamation of the lost north, our people need to be freed from the modern day slavery in the Arab occupied lands.

My Brathas and Sistas we need to address ourselves to what exactly our measurement is or will be. Garvey very clearly calls upon us to have eternity be our measurement. This means that what ever it is that we do, we will be judged for generations to come. Whether we act decisively and push to the ultimate liberation and freedom of Afrikan people or just sit back and lament we will be judged all the same.

As individuals we have to take a decision whether we want to make a mark on Our Story. As the current generation of Afrikans, living today, we have to make a decision as to whether our eternal measurement will be positive or negative. I have personally made a decision that I will not just expire, my death will be felt by the whole world but of greatest importance to me is that it will be felt by entire Global Afrikan Family; I have resolved that, in living I will make an impact and in dying I will leave an impact to be felt by countless generations to come, all for the advancement of the Afrikan cause.

Whether we like it or nor, whether we accept it or nor, future generations of Afrikans will judge our collective efforts. Some individuals will be judged into the future, some will be forgotten soon after their burial, the choice is for each and every one of us to make.

Again a few questions for us to ponder upon:

If collectively we are under-performers, does that mean we do not care about our future and that of our children and our children’s children?

What is our collective limit?

Is it a positive or negative eternity that will make our measurement?

What is your foot print on Our Story, if you are making any at all?

Are you going to just expire?

Believing in the future of Afrika and the Global Afrikan Family

Don't miss:
Marcus Garvey Philosophy (God and Nature first made us what we are - Part 1)
Marcus Garvey Philosophy (Up, up, you mighty race! You can accomplish what you will)
Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe: Challenge to Pan-Afrikanists
Pan Afrikanism : Brief Introduction